Pages

Saturday, May 05, 2012

Tonight, the Ghost of HST Smiled Upon Me

For years I've enjoyed Kentucky Derby weekend... without watching a single minute of the actual race. Usually, it's all about the Hunter S. Thompson and the mint juleps. Well, this year I decided to actualy watch it. My first horse race, ever. I posted this on Twitter, along with my pick:



I'll be honest: I picked "I'll Have Another" because of the obvious drinking reference. Lo and behold, I'll Have Another surged late against Bodemeister, who'd led the pack for almost the entire race! I was astonished:


I also wished I'd bet money on the damned thing. Sadly, I'm not a gambling man, even though some of my literary heroes (namely Bukowski) liked to spend a lot of time and money on the ponies. If I did follow a sport, horse racing would be awfully appealing. Over in about two minutes, and usually involves drinking in the sun. This year, I made my not-so-bad Julep and paired it with a Corona and lime, in honor of Cinco de Mayo:


I feel a tingle in my brain. I may even watch the goddamned Preakness...

2 comments:

  1. I used to be an avid racing fan, but I don't follow it much anymore. Same with boxing. Seems I was born about 30 years too late, easily.

    I picked last year's derby winner, Animal Kingdom, simply because of the reference to the Aussie crime flick. Wrote a short story based on it that I won a contest with too. So in a way, that non-bet paid off for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you might want to skip the Preakness. If the Derby is the height of horse racing class, The Preakness is the definitive opposite. I think the official drink is a warm Natty Boh with a mentholated cigarette doused in it.

    ReplyDelete